Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full version: Report from first ever Finnish NTFA meet
NTFA Forums > Miscellaneous forums > Auto Assembly Europe and other conventions and fan gatherings
palaste
We held our first ever Finnish NTFA meet today. I, Psychotron, Blackarachnia, Inkku, Midnight Express, Feikki and Archangel met up in Helsinki today. I arrived at the Helsinki central railway station at 10:30 and by 11:00 Archangel and Midnight Express were there. By 11:20 Inkku, Psychotron and Blackarachnia showed up. Inkku had voluntarily taken the awesome task of driving all the way from Vieremä to Turku, picking up Psychotron and Blackarachnia, and then driving to Helsinki. Feikki showed up at 11:25.
We first went to eat at a kebab place in central Helsinki, then continued to my apartment in Hietalahti. Psychotron and Blackarachnia had brought a Playstation 2, and Inkku had brought a DVD player and some animal skulls. We hooked up the Playstation 2 to my TV, but could not hook up the DVD player because my TV is too old, so we spent most of the time at my place playing Transformers Armada on the Playstation 2. We also drank lots of beer - except Midnight Express, who doesn't drink alcohol, and Inkku, who was driving.
Archangel had to leave at 14:00 to pick up his wife at Tikkurila, but we others stayed for hours more. Psychotron and Blackarachnia went back to Turku by train at 19:00, and Midnight Express went back to Klaukkala by bus at 20:00. I, Inkku and Feikki stayed one hour longer in the city and ate pizza at Pizza Hut. At 21:00, Inkku gave Feikki a lift back to Lappeenranta, and then continued onwards back to Vieremä, and I went back home.
All in all, a very fun and successful day. I hope we get to do this again soon, but this time in Turku.
Groundsplitter
Cool! I didn't even know you were meeting. And with seven people I guess this is also the largest NTFA meet so far?
We managed four back in 1997/98, but that's it. How many turned up in Denmark earlier this year? (I think it was Denmark...)
Psychotron
Yes, this meeting was simply, grrreat! smile.gif  We had loads of fun, drinking beer, teasing Palaste's and Inkku's figures, Midnight Express showed us some of her drawings, and the discussions were exactly what I was hoping for! Eight hours is downright too short a time for this kind of bunch to meet and have fun together. Next time we have to make it a two-dayer or something! biggrin.gif

All in all, the people rocked, music rocked, game rocked, discussions rocked, this was easily the most fun I've had with people in 2006. smile.gif

So, as Palaste already said about probable next location, welcome to Turku! wave3.gif
Groundsplitter
The way you describe it, I feel I would have wanted to be there. smile.gif But that would have been inconvenient, since I don't speak Finnish. tongue.gif
Midnight Express
....Psychotron already wrote everything that needs to be written. Though there's something that needs to be said... evillaugh.gif

We also had a little fun with Inkku's animal skull. Feikki was perching in front of the TV and the skull's horn was just under his aft. tongue.gif It seemed he didn't even notice. No worries, the skull was snatched away before anything could happen.
BigPete
Cool! Sounds like you guys had a great time! smile.gif I'd love being at a meeting like that! Does anyone feel like coming to Malmö? ;)
Jazz
QUOTE(palaste @ 02 July 2006,21:24)
Inkku had brought a DVD player and some animal skulls.

Hehe... sorry. I just laughed a lot when I read that...
Sounds like fun though. How about it Groundsplitter... Shouldn't we try something like that in Sweden..? There must be more of us now than back in 1998.
Splitfire
QUOTE(Jazz @ 03 juli 2006,02:11)

That girl's is kind of weird!  tongue.gif  wink2.gif

Sounds like fun though. How about it Groundsplitter... Shouldn't we try something like that in Sweden..? There must be more of us now than back in 1998.

The problem is that not all of us can come to the rest of you!
Time and place can be an obstacle.
Psychotron
QUOTE(Splitfire @ 03 July 2006,02:45)

Hehe, the animal skulls were for an independent movie Palaste is participating. biggrin.gif

Yes, there was lots of filing off before we finally found a date that was somewhat optimal for the most of us. But since we had decided that this will be done now, we managed. smile.gif

Groundsplitter, Bigpete: There is nothing inconvinient for you two to participate if you want or can! I don't think there is anyone in the finnish boards that wouldn't like the idea to have you with us. We all speak moderate to excellent english, and I presume you can speak swedish with Blackarachnia even though your dialect probably differs quite a bit. tongue.gif
BigPete
Yeah, it's just that I work different hours and days every week, and now that me and my fiancee finally moved in together, we have a lot of stuff to take care of, so money is scarce for the time being. My TF budget is down to a few hundred SEK/month cry3.gif A trip to Finland would cost a pretty penny since I live in southern Sweden sad.gif
predaqueen
QUOTE(Groundsplitter @ 02 July 2006,21:39)
How many turned up in Denmark earlier this year? (I think it was Denmark...)

Frank and I met Bruticus one day and Sky Lynx the other, so we were never more than three at a time.
I'm hoping loads of us can meet when the movie comes next year. Maybe in Sweden?
palaste
QUOTE(predaqueen @ 03 Heinä 2006,13:50)
QUOTE(Groundsplitter @ 02 July 2006,21:39)
How many turned up in Denmark earlier this year? (I think it was Denmark...)

Frank and I met Bruticus one day and Sky Lynx the other, so we were never more than three at a time.
I'm hoping loads of us can meet when the movie comes next year. Maybe in Sweden?

Weren't we supposed to meet in Sandnes so you and Frank can cook dinner for all of us?
Sunstorm
cool, to bad that its so few TF fans in norway, because we could also meet up but it aint worth it when it is so few, but if we ever gonna start an scandinavian TF convetnion then we may meet party2.gif or on AA next year possible
predaqueen
QUOTE(palaste @ 03 July 2006,13:07)

Weren't we supposed to meet in Sandnes so you and Frank can cook dinner for all of us?

Sure, we can do that. smile.gif
It'll be a long travelling distance for some, though..
palaste
QUOTE(Midnight Express @ 02 Heinä 2006,23:53)
....Psychotron already wrote everything that needs to be written. Though there's something that needs to be said...  :evil:

We also had a little fun with Inkku's animal skull. Feikki was perching in front of the TV and the skull's horn was just under his aft.  :p It seemed he didn't even notice. No worries, the skull was snatched away before anything could happen.

Another silly occasion was when we put Inkku's brand-new Cybertron Omega Supreme bending over with Inkku's G1 Scattershot, appropriately mistransformed, behind him, and at that exact moment, the Rammstein CD I was playing on my computer started playing Bück dich. It couldn't have picked a more appropriate time.

Feikki was playing with Inkku's new LOC toys and asked if one of them resembled some Finnish military vehicle. When none of us could answer, he said "No wonder. I'm asking three girls, one civil serviceman, and one guy who completed the army many years ago."
Inkku
QUOTE(Splitfire @ 03 Heinä 2006,03:45)

well.. thank you biggrin.gif

yesh.. i'm finally home again.. my road trip was 2008,8km long biggrin.gif  

* at this order. village of Vieremä - City of Iisalmi - city of Kuopio - city of Jyväskylä - city of Tampere - city of Salo - city of Forssa - city of Hämeenlinna - city of Salo - village of Perniö - city of Salo - city of Turku - city of Helsinki - city of Lappeenranta - city of Mikkeli - city of Varkaus - city of Kuopio - city of Iisalmi - village of Vieremä*

that was one good trip. my shampoo pottle was open, and almoust all my clothes where in shampoo then, then there was quite sharp nail in my right shoe and i have to take my winter shoes and use them then.. and my car also did want some attention tongue.gif  and broke down middle of the night and i have to get it some spare parts next day..

it was nice to meet all the others in the meeting.. We just have to meet again soon..

and that Armada game, was awesome biggrin.gif i wan't to play it again bounce1.gif
Psychotron
We also had a little fun with Inkku's animal skull. Feikki was perching in front of the TV and the skull's horn was just under his aft.  :p It seemed he didn't even notice. No worries, the skull was snatched away before anything could happen.

Another silly occasion was when we put Inkku's brand-new Cybertron Omega Supreme bending over with Inkku's G1 Scattershot, appropriately mistransformed, behind him, and at that exact moment, the Rammstein CD I was playing on my computer started playing Bück dich. It couldn't have picked a more appropriate time.

...and you two just HAD TO share those "glorious" moments here, didn't you... laugh.gif
Inkku
QUOTE(Psychotron @ 03 Heinä 2006,22:10)
...and you two just HAD TO share those "glorious" moments here, didn't you...  laugh.gif

oh yeah biggrin.gif  evillaugh.gif   biggrin.gif that was funny laugh.gif
BigPete
oh man... I wish I was there smile.gif I don't know any Finnish though, except for hämähäkki or however you spell it ;)
Midnight Express
QUOTE(bigpete @ 03 Heinä 2006,23:05)
I don't know any Finnish though, except for hämme hämme häkki or however you spell it ;)

Hämähäkki.
BigPete
QUOTE(Midnight Express @ 03 juli 2006,22:07)
QUOTE(bigpete @ 03 Heinä 2006,23:05)
I don't know any Finnish though, except for hämme hämme häkki or however you spell it ;)

Hämähäkki.

Okey, thanks smile.gif
Inkku
QUOTE(predaqueen @ 03 Heinä 2006,17:11)
QUOTE(palaste @ 03 July 2006,13:07)

Sure, we can do that.  smile.gif
It'll be a long travelling distance for some, though..

biggrin.gif oh yes.. should i take my car or not wink2.gif

laugh.gif
Feikki
QUOTE(palaste @ 03 July 2006,20:29)
Feikki was playing with Inkku's new LOC toys and asked if one of them resembled some Finnish military vehicle. When none of us could answer, he said "No wonder. I'm asking three girls, one civil serviceman, and one guy who completed the army many years ago."

It was LoC Red Alert which I think looks little bit of BTR-60:
Suomeksi, ruotsikisi eli på svenksa. You can find moore from google.

I was also all the time aware of that one skull you were talking about. I'm very good at observing my surroundings and quite accurate most of the time. So I knew it's exact place. And I guess atleast Psychotron knows that I'm little like Blitzwing, my radars and scanners are on the max all the time, atleast when I'm in a new city.
Feikki
QUOTE(palaste @ 03 July 2006,20:29)

Did something like that happen there? cc_confused.gif I might have been smoking that time, I guess... wink2.gif

Cool to hear Inkku got finally safely to home. smile.gif
Midnight Express
Oh yeah, that did happen. Scattershot fell on his back at one point and I remember I went "A little bit too heavy on the lower end".  tongue.gif

And then it was the one thing with Galvatron getting a surgery (to ya guys who weren't there... Omega Supreme was holding LoC Galvatron in his hand by the crotchplate). Psychotron happened to look at the figures just then and he went "That's just the place where one shouldn't touch..." (or somethin' like that). After that he got an idea just why G1 Galvatron talked in a rough voice in the movie, and all squeaky in the cartoon. Rodimus had punched you-know-what in with a lower hook. tongue.gif
Inkku
QUOTE(Feikki @ 04 Heinä 2006,10:30)
Cool to hear Inkku got finally safely to home. smile.gif

pffff.. wise guy.. tongue.gif

but i have to bull over once, because i was near to fall a sleep when i was driving somewhere between city of Mikkeli and city of Varkaus.. it is so boring drive alone tongue.gif
predaking
sounds like you had fun, I wish we could have been there smile.gif
palaste
Just some more thoughts.
Inkku is definitely a unique personality. She lives in the country village of Vieremä, in a house more than three times the size of my apartment, all by herself. Her job is taking care of 150 cows, and she has never seen her boss. Neither I, Psychotron, or Blackarachnia can drive a car, but Inkku seems to be happy to give us rides.
It was also nice to finally meet Psychotron. He and I both had letters printed in the original Finnish Transformers comic, and I remember immediately taking offense at the staff's reply to his letter, which seemed to condescend him. I wonder what Psychotron looks like in full heavy metal attire.
It's surprising how much Midnight Express knows about Japanese Transformers cartoons. And yet she doesn't speak Japanese. I took a look at her drawings, and she can definitely draw better than me. (But then, I can't draw very well at all.)

The only non-Finnish NTFA members I have ever met are Lars and Windchaser, who was present (but not very active) on the old forums, but hasn't registered here. I actually met Windchaser even before I met Lars.
Splitfire
QUOTE(Inkku @ 03 juli 2006,20:42)
QUOTE(Splitfire @ 03 Heinä 2006,03:45)

well.. thank you biggrin.gif

You're welcome!  biggrin.gif

Seems like you all had a great time!

The little finnish I can brag about is things like hame, musta and asiakaspalautus!  crazy2.gif
palaste
Feikki, probably the only one who brought a camera to this meeting, has finally published the photographs. I think they could be added to an online image gallery and published here, but it will take some time. In the meantime, there is a link to a zip file in the Finnish Mini-Con forum.
palaste
QUOTE(Psychotron @ 3 July 2006, 07:09) *
QUOTE(Splitfire @ 03 July 2006,02:45)

Hehe, the animal skulls were for an independent movie Palaste is participating. biggrin.gif

Sami Haavisto, the director of the movie, had stories of his own to tell about those skulls.
palaste
Here come pictures! They are taken by Feikki, not by me, but they are in my PhotoBucket account.

A groupshot at Helsinki central railway station. From left: Archangel, Midnight Express, Psychotron, Blackarachnia, me, Inkku.

In central Helsinki near the railway station.

In my apartment. Turo is playing the Transformers Playstation game on my TV.

Archangel inspecting a Transformer, Heidi in the background.

Me trying out the Transformers Playstation game.

Almost all of us in my apartment. Doesn't it look messy and cluttered?
palaste

Archangel inspecting more Transformers.

Archangel had to leave early to pick up his wife.

Here is Elisa once again.

Turo bringing out the beer...

I can't resist a big glass of beer, while Heidi is showing her Transformers drawings.

Apparently Skullgrin can't resist beer either.
palaste

Turo playing his jawharp.

Me trying out the same jawharp.

Heidi with a bag of Transformers.

After Turo and Sonja left, I, Heidi, Elisa and Feikki went to Kamppi to sit at a terrace.

A closer look at Elisa and Heidi.

A closer look at Heidi and me.
palaste

Heidi ready to drive Feikki and herself home, at the parking lot of the railway station. Note that I was no longer present at this time, so I have to guess at these pictures.

Feikki by Heidi's car.

Apparently Heidi had engine trouble?

Heidi got her car fixed up?

Um, Heidi's car again.
Inkku
awww.. good old Nissan Bluebird.. biggrin.gif (may it rest in.. pieces..)
yes.. my car did broke down while i was driving Feikki to his home..
first one to went down, was CD player.. then, the car started to slow down at the speed, lights started to faid out, and eventually, i have to drive to side of the road, because my car started to lost power.. that place where this did happend was named to Luumäki /Bonehill biggrin.gif

so. i was trying to look, what was frong at there in this time, first i was thingking about the motor oil.. nope.. it was okay, then the coolant system.. no holes in there.. i did not have any idea, why my car was acting like this.. so, we have to stay at that spot a while, and little bit later, i did get the engine on line again, but.. i didn have to ask, can i stay night over in Feikkis home, because the engine went dead again almoust the same second, when we where in parking lot.. hmmm.gif

and the next day, i went tru merry hell while trying to find new pattery charger to my car.. hmmm.gif

it was so tragicomic at you can not even believe it.. pinch.gif

that did happend at sunday evening.. my plan was, at after i drive Feikki to his home, i drive over night to be home at Monday morning to get some rest, and that monday was my last holiday day.. so.. i did spend my last holiday in Lappeenranta, trying to find some spare parts and mechanic.. hmmm.gif and tuesday morning.. i have to go stright to work, after i did finally get home.. yawn.gif

but that is just how it goes.. wink2.gif there is no easy day or night.. not in this life.. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.