Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full version: The NordCon talk thread
NTFA Forums > Miscellaneous forums > Auto Assembly Europe and other conventions and fan gatherings
Pages: 1, 2
Fighbird
With NordCon less than 2 months away(!!! wow2.gif wink2.gif ), and with us organizers only being able to see who's coming from where, we are actually a bit curious about what type of transportation and accomodations people have chosen for themselves.

Any of you commuting with one another? Or sleeping with friends/relatives close by? Would be interesting for us to know what kind of options you guys have chosen. smile.gif

Also, you are welcome to ask us any and all pressing questions here. smile.gif
DkConvoy
You know that I dont live that far from Aalborg, Martin smile.gif

My mother will drive me to the location, and pick me up again. (Bless her)
Since its only about 90km there's no reason for me to book a room, I'll sleep at home.. very handy!

Fighbird
Yeah, and I live about 3 km from there myself, so I could just as well walk there if I wanted. tongue.gif

And no, no after-partying at my place! Pete, I'm looking at you!!! tongue.gif wink2.gif
BigPete
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 26 April 2010, 16:11) *
Yeah, and I live about 3 km from there myself, so I could just as well walk there if I wanted. tongue.gif

And no, no after-partying at my place! Pete, I'm looking at you!!! tongue.gif wink2.gif

What? Who? Why? No party?! Oh man.... SADFACE sad.gif

wink2.gif

No worries, I do enough partying at Auto Assembly. We go crazy up in there! biggrin.gif
DkConvoy
QUOTE(BigPete @ 26 April 2010, 16:20) *

Poor Pete happy.gif *patpat*
Inkku
QUOTE(BigPete @ 26 April 2010, 17:20) *
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 26 April 2010, 16:11) *

wink2.gif

No worries, I do enough partying at Auto Assembly. We go crazy up in there! biggrin.gif

oh i wish i could be there.. party2.gif
Alpha Prime
I just have one question.

How long would it take to drive from Helsingør to Aalborg?

Does anyone know? cc_confused.gif
Fighbird
Some 4.5 hours... and that is pretty much regardless if you take the motorway only or if you take the ship from Sjællands Odde to Århus to save some distance.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pgsEj
Alpha Prime
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 28 April 2010, 06:40) *
Some 4.5 hours... and that is pretty much regardless if you take the motorway only or if you take the ship from Sjællands Odde to Århus to save some distance.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pgsEj

Thanks. laugh.gif
Nerdcore for life!
Maybe I can get a ride from copenhagen?

that would be sweet and cheaper for both of us w00t.gif
Fighbird
Just a little heads-up: I *will* be bringing my complete stock of tradables - more than 300 different items from G1 to Animated, sealed and loose, parts and bots - so remember to bring lots of money (all transactions at NordCon will be in Danish Kroner - and cash only)! wink2.gif

If you remember my usual for-sale stock and/or my table at Arlöv back in 2007, you know what kind of merchandise I usually sell and what quality it's in. smile.gif

And, if you're worried about selection, there will also be a large dealer from mainland Europe present with an equally impressive stock; I know *I'm* gonna spend some money there. biggrin.gif

Stay tuned for more info. smile.gif
Tformer
Oh darn. What a year to be low on cash sad.gif Guess it's time to torment the family tongue.gif
DkConvoy
Great, you're probably going to make me poor Martin tongue.gif
BigPete
I've started stocking up on some items again as well. Time will tell if I'll have enough to get a table smile.gif
Fighbird
Well, we do plan on having at least 1 (free) table available for those with few items, so that everyone have somewhere to do business at; the need to reserve a table for yourself is only if you have crates upon crates full of stuff and want to set up a complete "shop".
Fighbird
So.... anyone thinking of submittings something for the art contests? I know I won't, because I simply don't have the time to make something in time for June 19 (ooooooh - less than 6 weeks to go now! Yay!).

Let me know if you have something planned - we have big big big prizes to hand out, and it'd be a crying shame if we had to cancel that event... wink2.gif smile.gif
Tformer
I've began a quite ambitious kitbash, which I plan to bring with me. I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it in time though. It all depends on how tough these last few weeks of classes turn out to be. But I should be able to get it done.
BigPete
I have some idea, but not time... I'll see if I can conjure something up smile.gif
Fighbird
Right, not as much news in at off itself, but the HeadRobot toys just shipped from our supplier! I will be sure to let everyone know when they arrive and take some snapshots of them. smile.gif
SureShot
I'm happy to hear all is going to work out and that a DK based convention of this kind is taking place. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be attending eventhough it was my big plan for 2010, but if I do get by I'll probably show up at the door one of the days.
Fighbird
Hey, hope you find the opportunity to drop by - we've got exclusive toys, contest, presentations, dealers and Simon Furman! Plus all your favourite friendly neighbourhood NTFA'ers! It can't get much bigger than that! wink2.gif smile.gif
DkConvoy
QUOTE(SureShot @ 10 May 2010, 12:44) *
I'm happy to hear all is going to work out and that a DK based convention of this kind is taking place. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll be attending eventhough it was my big plan for 2010, but if I do get by I'll probably show up at the door one of the days.

I hope you decide to show up anyway! The more danes.. ehm.. the merrier? blush2.gif
And like Martin said; You'll miss out on alot of great stuff! Furman, the people, toys, me .. ehm ... never mind that one pinch.gif
Stolpen
I think I have to stop logging in here.. All the cool stuff that's going to happen really makes me wanna go! tongue.gif
hehe, if only csn would give you a little more cash tongue.gif
Fighbird
"CSN"? Screw CSN - come anyway! tongue.gif wink2.gif smile.gif
Stolpen
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 15 May 2010, 20:08) *
"CSN"? Screw CSN - come anyway! tongue.gif wink2.gif smile.gif

it's where us students loan our money from.. ^^
But hey, guess I could push the rent a month back tongue.gif hehe
Fighbird
Just a little "teaser/insider" info bit: The exclusively release of the HeadRobots toy has arrived at my doorstep today - these look simply STUNNING in person, and we should be able to post some pics of them real soon. Stay tuned! smile.gif

Update: Have a sneak peak at the card back over here - at HeadRobots' own website: http://headrobots.com/?p=321
BigPete
I'm really looking forward to this, and I can't wait to see a bunch of familiar faces, along with some new ones! smile.gif
Fighbird
Me too! It's actually been quite some time since Arlov (2.5 years), so it will be good to meet up with y'all again. smile.gif
DkConvoy
Okay.. so my parents and I had a little "scouting trip" today to find the location for Nordcon!

It wasnt that hard to find, yet that apartment complex was quite a maze tongue.gif

After that we had a nice trip in Aalborg storcenter.
Fighbird
Hey, cool - nothing like checking out the 'hood! tongue.gif

It's a nice area with a little sci-fi feel to the architecture, yes? I think so, at least. smile.gif
DkConvoy
Yep it sure was sci-fi-ish..

I was afraid of a possible robot chicken attack or something sad.gif
Fighbird
QUOTE(DkConvoy @ 25 May 2010, 18:27) *
Yep it sure was sci-fi-ish..

I was afraid of a possible robot chicken attack or something sad.gif

Nah, don't worry - those only exist in Sweden... wink2.gif
DkConvoy
Aah yes I remember watching that video biggrin.gif

Tformer
So. Only three weeks to go now smile.gif How's everyone's preparations going?

I just need to book my train tickets to and from Malmö and I'm set with the travels. Then I need to stress together a nice and decently large sum of pocket-money for the dealer tables and whatnot. pinch.gif
DkConvoy
QUOTE(Tformer @ 29 May 2010, 21:23) *

I just need to book my train tickets to and from Malmö and I'm set with the travels. Then I need to stress together a nice and decently large sum of pocket-money for the dealer tables and whatnot. pinch.gif

Well Im lucky enough that I live about 80km from the location, heck I've even had that "scouting tour" to find the location.
Yet I must say that the area was quite a maze! Yet easy enough to find the building when you're looking for the number "60".. right.. tongue.gif
Other than that Im just preparing myself for this social blast, I aint very social normally.. Yet I really look forward to talk with you guys happy.gif
Hopefully I wont say anything stupid.. *sigh* sad.gif

Also, I hope you'll get a troublefree and safe trip to Denmark Tformer.. it's quite a journey you're getting on!
Fighbird
I will be bringing so much crap to sell, that I need to rent a car (don't have one myself at the moment), even though I only live about 3 km away tongue.gif Heck, I can see the buildings we're gonna be at from my bedroom window, but no way I'm hauling 10 big crates of merchandise over there without transportation! wink2.gif

Other than that, it seems to be coming together quite nicely both from a personal point of view, as well as from the organizational point of view.

DkConvoy: Don't worry about saying anything "stupid" - we're generally a weird and funky bunch of guys as it is, so we generally say a lot of stupid things ourselves anyway; you'll fit right in. thumbs.gif smile.gif
DkConvoy
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 30 May 2010, 09:51) *
DkConvoy: Don't worry about saying anything "stupid" - we're generally a weird and funky bunch of guys as it is, so we generally say a lot of stupid things ourselves anyway; you'll fit right in. thumbs.gif smile.gif

Huh.. why thank you that helps! tongue.gif
Groundsplitter
QUOTE(Tformer @ 29 May 2010, 21:23) *

I booked my flight tickets yesterday. As one of the organizers I will arrive already on Friday to help with preparations and setup, and then I will return home on Monday.
And yes, I'm flying. Not because it's much faster (although it is a nice benefit), but because it is cheaper than going by train, insanely enough!

I still haven't booked my hotel room though, so if anyone else plans to stay Friday–Monday and is interested in sharing a room to save money, let me know! wink2.gif

Then I need to stress together a nice and decently large sum of pocket-money for the dealer tables and whatnot.
My stay will be quite inexpensive. Since I have quit collecting I don't really expect to buy anything this time either (I didn't at Mini-Con 2007 either). I'm guessing that the only acquisitions that I will bring home will be our special convention toy - "Mixcoatl" - and whatever gifts our sponsors have donated. Since, if everything goes according to plan, I will be bringing those convention programmes/magazines along on the trip down, my luggage should actually be lighter on the way back.

Ah, that reminds me: I plan to bring the "NTFA Repository" along for display. That means that you will be able to see the Sandnes Mini-Con exclusive toy "Downforce" (one of eight copies in existence), the Mini-Con 2007 convention toy prototype "Micromaster Darkwings" (one item in existence), plus the fan-translated TF comic book that the Finns created for one of their get-togethers a while back (one of... seven or eight copies?). I think the Repository will also be completed with one of the Movie Deluxes that Hasbro donated for Mini-Con 2007 - I believe that either Martin or BigPete has been holding on to one of the remaining figures for inclusion into the NTFA collection.
BigPete
QUOTE(Groundsplitter @ 31 May 2010, 15:39) *
I think the Repository will also be completed with one of the Movie Deluxes that Hasbro donated for Mini-Con 2007 - I believe that either Martin or BigPete has been holding on to one of the remaining figures for inclusion into the NTFA collection.

Yup! i have two or three items actually; one competition prize and two of the give-away deluxes. I'll bring them along for you smile.gif
Fighbird
Actually, I have one already with Lars' name on it I plan on bringing - as well as a certain toy that I kind of owe him, so he *will* be bringing a bit home with him.

(I just figure that I have one Arlöv toy saved for him anyway, and you guys need all the luggage room you can get.)
BigPete
I've booked a train from København to Aalborg and back, plus a hotel room at Scandic, for myself and Tformer. Always nice to have a travel companion, and we can spend the 5 hour train-ride playing Nintendo DS games wink2.gif Roomsharing is fun as well; you get to know the person/persons you share the room with a bit better, and it makes the hotel stay considerably cheaper smile.gif We originally intended to stay at Zleep because of the then-low room rates, but the prices have steadily gone up the closer we came to the convention date. In the end, Scandic was only 300 DKK more expensive, but it has an extra star, and breakfast is included. Well worth the extra expense smile.gif
**BRUTICUS**
Ill probably join in but I wont sleep over, money is tight and I got my ass hurlked with stuff I need to do.
vmv-81
QUOTE(Groundsplitter @ 31 May 2010, 15:39) *
I booked my flight tickets yesterday. As one of the organizers I will arrive already on Friday to help with preparations and setup, and then I will return home on Monday.
And yes, I'm flying. Not because it's much faster (although it is a nice benefit), but because it is cheaper than going by train, insanely enough!

I still haven't booked my hotel room though, so if anyone else plans to stay Friday–Monday and is interested in sharing a room to save money, let me know! wink2.gif

Palaste has made a Flex reservation at Scandic Hotel Aalborg for himself, me, Psychotron and Blackarachnia from saturday to monday. If needed, he could change it from one 4-person room to one 2-person room and one 3-person room.
Blackbee
Well then, I just recently found out that I could squish my schedule a bit to actually attend to this event biggrin.gif And I'll be home two days before my last exam... (soon student, woot!)
Still have to decide if I'll take the train (for five hours...) or take the trip by plane. Meh, I dunno. And still have to pay too.
So, anyways, will be looking forward to seeing other TF fans for the first time. 8D
BigPete
QUOTE(Blackbee @ 3 June 2010, 00:57) *
Well then, I just recently found out that I could squish my schedule a bit to actually attend to this event biggrin.gif And I'll be home two days before my last exam... (soon student, woot!)
Still have to decide if I'll take the train (for five hours...) or take the trip by plane. Meh, I dunno. And still have to pay too.
So, anyways, will be looking forward to seeing other TF fans for the first time. 8D

Cool smile.gif And your first post in the forums as well smile.gif
Blackbee
QUOTE(BigPete @ 3 June 2010, 01:08) *
Cool smile.gif And your first post in the forums as well smile.gif

Yes, well, I've never been good at keeping activity on these kind of boards ^^;
DkConvoy
QUOTE(Blackbee @ 3 June 2010, 02:24) *

Hello and welcome to the boards!
*checks age*
Hmm, quess Im still the youngest dane here tongue.gif
Groundsplitter
I'm guessing that this is redundant as I already posted the same message in the news forum yesterday, but in case anyone missed it, Simon Furman updated his blog with an entry on his upcoming appearance at NordCon:
QUOTE(Simon Furman)
I’m off to Aalborg in Denmark in a couple of weeks for Nordcon, a convention organized by the Nordic Transfans Association. The two-day event is being staged over the weekend of June 19th & 20th and I’ll be there for both days, meeting and greeting. The Saturday will see a Q&A panel and on the Sunday I’ll be doing a Transformers script to page presentation that I put together with artist Nick Roche a while back. I’ll also be bringing with me copies of the script for War Within: Age of Wrath #4 (unpublished!) for signing and sale. Whoo-hoo! So, should you happen to be in that part of the world, do come and say hi. For more details on Nordcon visit their website here.

This actually changes what I said on Monday about my personal plans for NordCon. I hadn't planned on buying anything as I've given up collecting TFs, but now I'm very tempted to buy a copy of the Age of Wrath #4 script. smile.gif
Apparently it has never been sold anywhere else - in a new follow-up comment in his blog, Simon says that "For now, it’s a Nordcon exclusive!" Cool!
Fighbird
QUOTE(Blackbee @ 3 June 2010, 00:57) *

Welcome on the board! smile.gif

I regularly travel from Aalborg to Kastrup on business related matters, so I would highly recommend taking the plane - it's cheaper if you book in good time. But then there's the whole matter of getting to Kastrup and getting to and from Aalborg Airport etc. etc. - and I bet you can get really cheap Orange tickets (a type of low-cost train tickets - just FYI for all of you non-danes) if you get those in good time, as well. But I personally *hate* the trains... too much noise, too expensive food and waaaaaaa too long a ride going between Aalborg/Cph.
Blackbee
QUOTE(DkConvoy @ 3 June 2010, 14:15) *
QUOTE(Blackbee @ 3 June 2010, 02:24) *

Hello and welcome to the boards!
*checks age*
Hmm, quess Im still the youngest dane here tongue.gif

Hehe, guess you are :] Though I'm probably the youngest female dane either way ;P

QUOTE(Fighbird @ 9 June 2010, 11:13) *
Welcome on the board! smile.gif

I regularly travel from Aalborg to Kastrup on business related matters, so I would highly recommend taking the plane - it's cheaper if you book in good time. But then there's the whole matter of getting to Kastrup and getting to and from Aalborg Airport etc. etc. - and I bet you can get really cheap Orange tickets (a type of low-cost train tickets - just FYI for all of you non-danes) if you get those in good time, as well. But I personally *hate* the trains... too much noise, too expensive food and waaaaaaa too long a ride going between Aalborg/Cph.

Thanks for the advice, though I eventually ended up with the decision to take the train. Though I could save tons of time flying, it's a bit too expensive for me at the moment (trying to save up for my trip to Tokyo), and I always had a bit of a flying-fobi ;) Besides, 10 hours in a train is a good excuse to get some studying done.

Oh, by the way, have a tiny question. Since I'm sleeping at a friend's place, I probably have to bring a bag of stuff to sleep and such. Is there anywhere safe where I can dump that bag on the first day? Would be troublesome to drag it around all day, hm?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.