Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full version: Interested in going to Auto Assembly with us?
NTFA Forums > Miscellaneous forums > Auto Assembly Europe and other conventions and fan gatherings
BigPete
Me and **BRUTICUS** are going to Auto Assembly again this year, so we're skipping BotCon. Are any of you interested in joining us?

Preliminary dates:

We're planning on flying to Birmingham on Friday, August 14th. The plane goes from Copenhagen - Birmingham. The flight leaves Copenhagen at 08:45 in the morning, arriving in Birmingham at 09:45.

The flight home is on Monday, August 17th, at 19:15, arriving in Copenhagen at 22:00. We chose Monday since we're planning to be at Auto Assembly for the whole weekend (it's a 2 day event this year).

Total cost: 1989 SEK per person, which is really cheap IMO.

Hotel:

We're going to reserve rooms at the Holiday Inn in the Birmingham City Centre, which is the place that the convention is held in smile.gif
Room rates are from 609 SEK per night for the cheapest double bed room. We will be taking the double bed, smoker, full breakfast option, landing us at 835 SEK per night (417:50 per person) which isn't very expensive at all. The hotel is right in the city centre, only 150 m from New Street Station.

Total cost, flight & deluxe room rate, smoker, full breakfast: 3241:50 SEK (provided that you share the room with someone)

Not bad at all smile.gif

So, anyone interested?
Tformer
That would be really cool smile.gif If I manage to get a job this summer I'm most certainly in! (Though I would probably have to travel to Malmö in advance if I were to travel along with you guys, which would be the most fun IMO smile.gif )

simes
Will be great to see loads of you there!

Pete, the offer of the display table for NTFA is still there if you want it!

Simon
BigPete
No one? I recall several people mentioning an interest in coming with us this year after reading my report on AA 2008 smile.gif *looks at Smokescreen, Palaste, Tformer* wink2.gif
Inkku
damn.. i just would love to go, but i'm not sure about my job situation at this year yet.. cry3.gif

Joona old buddy old pal.. wave3.gif do you have any calculations how much it would be to go to AA and be there that weekend.. (i'm just not the person to calculate thingyes.. blush2.gif )

if they just would build bridge long enough, i would drive there evillaugh.gif
palaste
QUOTE(Inkku @ 22 February 2009, 20:47) *
damn.. i just would love to go, but i'm not sure about my job situation at this year yet.. cry3.gif

Joona old buddy old pal.. wave3.gif do you have any calculations how much it would be to go to AA and be there that weekend.. (i'm just not the person to calculate thingyes.. blush2.gif )

Well, the Auto Assembly itself costs £40 and the cheapest hotel in Birmingham I could find (although I don't know how far away from Auto Assembly it is and how much room there is at the time) costs £105, so that's £145 or 163 €.
Assuming you can drive from Kiuruvesi to Helsinki and back for free, the cheapest flight at the moment costs 171 €, so the total is 334 €.
An alternative is to avoid flying altogether, and go from Helsinki to Stockholm by ship and from there to Birmingham by InterRail train. The ship costs 62 € (with InterRail discount) and the train trip, all the way to Birmingham and back, costs 249 €, making a total of 311 €, bringing the grand total to a massive 474 €. If I'm able to go to Auto Assembly at all, I'm certainly going to at least consider this option.
All these prices are calculated assuming you're going to Auto Assembly all by yourself. If you can share the voyage and/or accommodation with someone, the price per person should be lower.
Inkku
QUOTE(palaste @ 22 February 2009, 21:09) *
QUOTE(Inkku @ 22 February 2009, 20:47) *

Well, the Auto Assembly itself costs £40 and the cheapest hotel in Birmingham I could find (although I don't know how far away from Auto Assembly it is and how much room there is at the time) costs £105, so that's £145 or 163 €.
Assuming you can drive from Kiuruvesi to Helsinki and back for free, the cheapest flight at the moment costs 171 €, so the total is 334 €.
An alternative is to avoid flying altogether, and go from Helsinki to Stockholm by ship and from there to Birmingham by InterRail train. The ship costs 62 € (with InterRail discount) and the train trip, all the way to Birmingham and back, costs 249 €, making a total of 311 €, bringing the grand total to a massive 474 €. If I'm able to go to Auto Assembly at all, I'm certainly going to at least consider this option.
All these prices are calculated assuming you're going to Auto Assembly all by yourself. If you can share the voyage and/or accommodation with someone, the price per person should be lower.

Thank you smile.gif

i have to think about this.. i might not know my job situation before may, and there are some other things also to take care of if i get that job.. unsure.gif
Smokescreen
I'm interested, but I'd have to figure out costs from Östersund all the way to Birmingham.

Adding notes as I go...

I first considered the traditional Östersund to Stockholm to Copenhagen to Birmingham route, but it's a stunning total of 5650 SEK. Not possible.

Then I realized there's a fairly big travel hub nearby with Trondheim. Trondheim to Copenhagen to Birmingham (and back) is "only" 3989 SEK. Slightly more possible, if I can put aside cash. That, however, is a slight problem currently. Also, I need to find a bus or train that takes me to Trondheim early enough, and it's a 4 hour trip by train.

Thinking about it though, while it would be fun to go... this is Transformers cash I could get a decent Fort Max for, or three MP Grimlocks. And that's not even counting hotel, attendance fees and buying stuff there. Hmm...
simes
Imagine buying a MP Grimlock and getting it personally autogaphed by Gregg Berger though?! lol

Seriously though, it's something that you won't regret. Toys are something that can be bought any time and this is the only Auto Assembly this year and I'm trying to make this the best convention EVER outside of the USA and I've still got some great ideas that I haven't announced yet!

Simon
palaste
I just found out that Kraftwerk is going to do a concert here in Helsinki only two days before Auto Assembly. So if I'm going to attend both events, I'm going to be in a bit of a hurry! But I still don't know whether I'll be able to afford to come to the UK at all.
simes
One thing we will do to make it as easy as possible for all of you to attend is do anything we can to help you all find the best possible deals we can with hotels, flight, travel and anything else you need. Afterall, we want you all to enjoy the convention and we don't want anyone to miss the convention if they can help it!

If I can do anything to help any of you, please just ask! With the hotel, while it's not the convention hotel, there is one about 5 minutes walk away (the Ibis) which has rooms for £60 a night BUT that is for the total cost of the room (without breakfast) so if two people are sharing then that works out at £30 each a night.

Simon
Lucar-tron
Me and my mom have already since January, bought tickets to England and attend to Auto Assembly the whole weekend.
So it's pretty much solved in my case.
simes
Don't know if it might work for some of you, but I don't know if flying into London or Manchester and then getting a train or coach to Birmingham could work out cheaper?

Simon
simes
QUOTE(Smokescreen @ 22 February 2009, 21:29) *
I'm interested, but I'd have to figure out costs from Östersund all the way to Birmingham.

Adding notes as I go...

I first considered the traditional Östersund to Stockholm to Copenhagen to Birmingham route, but it's a stunning total of 5650 SEK. Not possible.

Then I realized there's a fairly big travel hub nearby with Trondheim. Trondheim to Copenhagen to Birmingham (and back) is "only" 3989 SEK. Slightly more possible, if I can put aside cash. That, however, is a slight problem currently. Also, I need to find a bus or train that takes me to Trondheim early enough, and it's a 4 hour trip by train.

Thinking about it though, while it would be fun to go... this is Transformers cash I could get a decent Fort Max for, or three MP Grimlocks. And that's not even counting hotel, attendance fees and buying stuff there. Hmm...

Hi,

If you fly from Östersund to London Heathrow it works out a lot cheaper (about 3000 SEK on www.expedia.co.uk) and then you can get a train directly to Birmingham New Street station which is a 2 minute walk to the convention hotel.

Simon
Smokescreen
There are some seriously cheap planes to London if you're going with Ryan Air, but I need to think about if I'm willing to risk my life there smile.gif
simes
QUOTE(Smokescreen @ 27 February 2009, 10:45) *
There are some seriously cheap planes to London if you're going with Ryan Air, but I need to think about if I'm willing to risk my life there smile.gif

Well we're flying one of our guests over with Ryan Air (his choice!) and in terms of getting to London all you need to do is get to Heathrow Airport then get straight on the underground to Euston train station (I think it takes about 30 minutes) then straight up to Birmingham (about 1 hour and 40 minutes) so you can avoid most of London completely!

Simon
BigPete
BTW Simon, are there any decent toy stores in Birmingham? We only found The Entertainer in the Bullring Shopping Centre, and an Argos somewhere in the city centre as well. Aren't there any Toys 'R Us stores or something similar?
simes
There was a Toys R Us but it closed about a year ago and the nearest one is a bus ride away. There is a Tesco about 10 mins walk away with a small-ish toy section but that's about it really. sad.gif

Saying that there are two dedicated comic stores in Birmingham - Forbidden Planet that is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel and Nostalgia and Comics... which is right UNDERNEATH the Holiday Inn smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Simon
BigPete
So, any updates here? Only 18 days left before AA2009! Lucar-tron, I hope to see you there! smile.gif If you see me first, please come up and say 'hello' smile.gif
Lucar-tron
Yeah, I hope to see you too. smile.gif And It would be nice to see Fighbird too if he's going to Auto Assembly. smile.gif
palaste
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can afford to come to Auto Assembly. I'd like to, for three reasons: it would be my first time in Auto Assembly, it would be my first time in Birmingham in the first place, and it would be a good chance to hang out with BigPete and Bruticus and other NTFA members. But my InterRail trip to Prague and Seeboden has used up almost 1000 €, almost half of my entire monthly salary, and that on top of existing credit card debts. I am also going to Lapland on a fishing/hiking trip with my father for the first week of August, and I'm attending the Kraftwerk concert in Helsinki on August 13. I don't have any paid holidays left for this summer. Spending working days away from work costs me 100 € per day. Unless I want to sell all my Transformers and live off oatmeal and canned tuna for the next three months, there is no way I could come to Auto Assembly this year. Next year is another story altogether, it might very well be feasible that I'm coming to Auto Assembly 2010.
simes
For those of you who still want to, you can pre-register and collect your passes on the weekend itself because of the risk with postal delays BUT I will also promise that for any members of the NTFA forum who attend and want to pay on the door, as you will be travelling from outside of the UK, I will guarantee to admit you to the convention as an on-the-door attendee even if we are full to capacity. Just ask for me and I will sort it out!

Simon smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.