Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full version: Proposal for name change
NTFA Forums > Miscellaneous forums > Auto Assembly Europe and other conventions and fan gatherings
Groundsplitter
This proposal was originally posted in the staff section, but we decided to make it public.

I propose a slight name change for the Mini-Cons. Now that we have both regular conventions and the original get-togethers, it will become confusing with all the different Mini-Cons held every year. Especially since we've started attracting the attention of some foreigners - at least one American has expressed serious interest in coming to our next convention. But we don't want to abandon the name "Mini-Con", neither for the conventions nor for the get-togethers. It's a well-established name after just 15 months. So how can we help people see the difference between, for instance, Mini-Con Arlöv and Mini-Con Vieremä? This is my suggestion for how to keep the two varieties apart:

* The conventions will remain "Nordic Mini-Con", with the year added at the end. Last weekend's convention thus becomes "Nordic Mini-Con 2007", officially. Informally we can also talk about "Mini-Con 2007" or "NTFA Mini-Con 2007" (the foreign sites seem to prefer to add the NTFA prefix).

* The get-togethers will drop "Nordic" (not all of them are international anyway) and become "Mini-Con Get-together", officially, with the location added at the end. Subsequent get-togethers in the same location will also get a roman numeral after the location. A hypothetical second meeting in Sandnes would thus become "Mini-Con Get-together Sandnes II" (in the logotype this would be split over three lines). Informally we can talk about "Mini-Con Sandnes" or "Mini-Con Sandnes II". The "Get-together" won't have to be added in regular discussion, it is only needed for the official name and the logotype, to clearly advertise that this is not one of the big conventions.

Opinions?
Fighbird
I kinda like the "Nordic Mini-Con '07" designation for the larger conventions. smile.gif

Also, "Mini-Con Turku" (or whatever) works perfectly for the smaller scale get-togethers. smile.gif

Alternately, the smaller ones could be Mini-Mini-Cons, or Micro-Cons... wink2.gif J/K tongue.gif
palaste
I agree with Martin. Also, meetings should only be worthy of the Mini-Con name if they're planned openly in advance, instead of two NTFA members just bumping into each other, or popping in for a visit just between themselves.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, "convention" means "get-together", only it's in Latin and not in English.
gravebot
Nordic Mini-con sounds cool.
SureShot
Swecon
Norcon
Fincon
Dencon
for national conventions perhaps.
palaste
QUOTE(SureShot @ 8 November 2007, 13:58) *
Swecon
Norcon
Fincon
Dencon

At least Swecon and Fin(n)con are already in use for larger, more general Sci-Fi conventions.
Groundsplitter
QUOTE(SureShot @ 8 November 2007, 12:58) *
Swecon
Norcon
Fincon
Dencon

We're not looking to hold any national conventions. Considering the work that has to be put into them it's more realistic to hold annual international (Nordic) conventions in addition to the variable number of smaller, informal get-togethers. The latters may or may not be national, depending on who decide to come.
Fighbird
Had an idea the other day: Scandi-Con.

"NTFA Scandi-Con" has a nice ring to it IMHO, and doesn't have the same "problems" in refering to a potential size of it (as with the "Mini" prefix -- which would still work for the smaller private get-togethers). Scandi-Con (spelled with a hyphen like that) doesn't seem to be a registered trademark, either.

(And could also be a TF faction designation, if we ever got truely exclusive toys... wink2.gif )
palaste
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 29 February 2008, 12:14) *

"NTFA Scandi-Con" has a nice ring to it IMHO, and doesn't have the same "problems" in refering to a potential size of it (as with the "Mini" prefix -- which would still work for the smaller private get-togethers). Scandi-Con (spelled with a hyphen like that) doesn't seem to be a registered trademark, either.

(And could also be a TF faction designation, if we ever got truely exclusive toys... wink2.gif )

But Finland is not in Scandinavia...
Groundsplitter
QUOTE(Fighbird @ 29 February 2008, 11:14) *

I'm not so fond of it. It sounds weird to me, and it kind of leaves Finland out. I know that "Scandinavia" is sometimes used to include Finland and Iceland as well, but technically it's incorrect. ("Fennoscandia" includes Finland too, but leaves out Denmark instead).

A name that includes the word "Nordic" would be preferable, in my opinion. But then we get the problem that many of the combinations have already been used. An Internet search revealed that there are already two conventions called Nordcon and NordicCon, and there is at least one company called Nordicon. It's probably less risky to copy the name of a convention than copying the name of a company, but neither is a good choice.
Protek
Micro-Con gets my vote.
palaste
QUOTE(Protek @ 29 February 2008, 13:19) *
Micro-Con gets my vote.

Nano-Con? Pico-Con? Femto-Con? Atto-Con? Zepto-Con? Yocto-Con?
Groundsplitter
Why rename the convention at all? My proposal, the one that started this topic, wasn't for a name change on that scale, I just wanted to make it clearer which Mini-Cons are convention-scale and which ones are smaller gatherings.
Fighbird
QUOTE(palaste @ 29 February 2008, 11:47) *
But Finland is not in Scandinavia...

Wasn't aware of that; no offence intended. sad.gif

Was just a thought I had -- I know that this thread was about differentiating the smaller and larger 'Cons, and kinda figured my idea would work. But what the hey, it was just a thought. smile.gif
Soundblaster
Mega-Con for the big ones and Mini-Con for the small ones?
Just an idea...
BigPete
why not just NTFA-Con? Or NTFACon?
palaste
QUOTE(BigPete @ 29 February 2008, 16:22) *
why not just NTFA-Con? Or NTFACon?

Because that is too difficult to pronounce.
Groundsplitter
Better to make "NTFA" a permanent part of the name in that case. "Mini-Con" is well-established now, and I like the self-irony in the name, so personally I don't want to give it up. My primary choice is "Nordic Mini-Con" for the larger conventions, but "NTFA Mini-Con" could work too without any problem.
Inkku
QUOTE(Groundsplitter @ 29 February 2008, 19:48) *
Better to make "NTFA" a permanent part of the name in that case. "Mini-Con" is well-established now, and I like the self-irony in the name, so personally I don't want to give it up. My primary choice is "Nordic Mini-Con" for the larger conventions, but "NTFA Mini-Con" could work too without any problem.

NTFA Mini-Con sounds good to me.. thumbs.gif
Landale
I always thought it was Mini-con slightly because of the minicons =p beeing a Tf con and all.
Groundsplitter
QUOTE(Landale @ 29 February 2008, 22:57) *
I always thought it was Mini-con slightly because of the minicons =p beeing a Tf con and all.

Yes, it's based on that, in combination with a bit of self-irony. Blackarachnia came up with the name for our second gathering, which consisted of eight people. Not nearly enough to call it a convention really, so we called it a "mini-con". And the name stuck quickly, so we've stayed with it since, even when BigPete organized the Arlöv convention a couple of months ago.

The name still fits, we think; we're still much smaller than the TF cons elsewhere in the world so there's no contradiction there, and it's a position that we're kind of used to being in - The Nordic countries have "always" received everything TF-related last, and in smaller number than the rest of the world, if at all. We've always been the underdogs, and even though it annoys us that we always draw the shortest straw I think we also like to have the excuse to complain and bemoan our fate. It's part of the Nordic character. smile.gif
Sir.Grimlock
why not just keep the old one its sounds great

NTFA Nordic Mini-Con
SureShot
NORCON happy.gif
Groundsplitter
Please, please. People! It's very unlucky that this topic was revived; there's too much confusion about this now!

I have NOT suggested that we abandon the name "Mini-Con", and I still don't see any reason to do so! The reason why I started up this topic a couple of months ago was to suggest a minor change to make it easier to differentiate between actual conventions and smaller meetings.

Earlier we talked about "Mini-Con Arlöv" and "Mini-Con Vierämä", and there was no way to determine just from the name whether it was a convention or just a relaxed meeting between fans. That's why I suggested that the conventions should not be suffixed by the location any longer, but by the year it's held. In other words, it's not "Mini-Con Arlöv" any more, but "Mini-Con 2007". Similarly, the next convention will be "Mini-Con 2008", no matter where it is held.

To further differentiate between the two types, I also suggested that we prefix the conventions with the word "Nordic" (i.e. "Nordic Mini-Con 2008". "NTFA Mini-Con 2008" would work equally well though. Meanwhile, I suggested that the smaller meetings should get a "Fan-gathering" inserted, and a roman numeral added if the meeting is held in that local more than once (i.e. "Mini-Con Fan-gathering Turku II").

That was the extent of my suggestion. Just a small adjustment!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.