NewsNTFA ForumsTransformers movie seriesAuto Assembly Europe conventionWWTFU Character profilesStore

Welcome Guest ( Log in | Register )

Welcome, guest. Register to remove this message!
Hello, and welcome to NTFA Forums!
To post in our community you must register, but don't worry - this is a simple, free process that only takes a few moments to complete. Register now!

Advantages of registering include:
  • You get rid of this giant box and Optimus Prime trying to recruit you
  • You will be able to start topics, post replies, and vote in our polls
  • You can track topics of particular interest to you, and search for all new posts since your last visit
  • You get to associate and chat with a group of friendly and helpful Nordic Transformers fans ;)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MP-10 Optimus Prime
Honkimus Prime
post 12 October 2011, 17:48
Post #1 | Print

Finland

Group: Members

Sorry but I must glow for a moment for this is my first MP Prime ever and let me tell you that I'm very very happy now. I never had change to grab one of those 20th anniversary Primes. That was basically the only MP Prime available in Finland. Nowadays we don't even get TRU exclusive MP toys. To be honest with out; what comes to TF toys, Finland is like a barren and ravaged wasteland. There is nothing. Ok, some random moviecr@p (well it's not alla that bad, I don't like them that much).

I orderered mine from archonia and you don't have to use credit card or paypal to pay your order. And because it's in Belgium, most of us don't have to pay any customs etc. So it was relatively easy to get.

But enough of this and lets get to the point here. I'm going to tell my own feeling about this new and somewhat controversal MP-10 Optimus/Convoy. It's likely that most of you would like to know, if this is worth all the money Takara is asking for this. Well...it depends.
That was pretty cryptic answer, but first of all; like I said, I don't own any other MP Prime figures, so for me getting this was a rather clear choice and I'm probably more excited than a someone who already have MP Prime.

It's hard to say if this is really THE G1 Optimus Prime figure, but it still is a really cool and nice looking toy. It is also slightly different than older versions MP Prime (his truck mode is more that just slighly), but again in the end it's up to ones personal taste, if this version looks better.

Pic.1

Pic.2

Pic.3

Box&stuff

Well nothing new here. Nice box and as with Takara TF toys, you don't have to destroy the whole box to get the toy out. I was a bit suprised that there wasn't that much extra stuff, but at least all that is needed is there, like Rollar, axe and his gun. There is also some stupid little human guy, but who cares about that biggrin.gif
As you can see from picture 4, you actually push his fist inside the axe. It can be a bit tight, so be careful there. There is also really need way to store Prime's gun. The gun folds and can be placed to his back. There is a trigger that opens the gun.

Pic.4

Pic.5

Rollar also has couple of gimmicks. It can hold the gun of Optimus and it can also tow the trailer.

Robot mode:

As many of you already knew, this one is smaller than previous MP Prime and his head, feet and stomach ”grill” are somewhat different. Not that much, but enough to make him look different than previous version. Maybe this is closer to cartoon Prime. Not that it would matter that much to many.

Some have complained about his feet and the way they look, but I find them to be just right and sturdy. So he don't need any support but can stand firmly as Optimus should. There is enough movement/articulation to give Optimus all kind of a poses, though unfortunately the lack of stand somewhat limits this possibility. Also; as far as I know, previous MP figure didn't have any ankle and waist movement but this one has.

Oh...This is important for die cast fans; Only his feet are die cast (I think one part inside his tummy was made of metal as well) and for me that's just a bonus. I personally don't like die cast parts for those are painted metal parts that can chip and scratch easily.

Upper torso is also very nicely done and I haven't had any problems with wobbly arms. Though this MP-10 version don't have articulated thumb and his index finger can pop off rather easily, but that's just a minor issue I think. This doesn't prevent him wielding his blaster really well, and in his palms there is a small peg for his gun that helps to keep it in place.

From pictures 6 and 7 can be seen how you can have more movement for his arms by pulling them out just a bit. This ”elongated mode” has apparently caused some MP-10's to have slightly wobbly arms, but like I said, I haven't noticed that. So it probably isn't any major issue.

Pic.6

Pic.7

Optimus also has his matrix inside his chest, but it's a bit shame that he is not able hold it correctly but the Matrix itself look nice and that is made of metal btw. Matrix is really easy to get and it is hidden behind his truck bumper that is folded inside his chest. You just open it and there it is.

Pic.8

Pictures 9 and 10 show some size comparison. Optimus is perhaps too big for classics deluxe size and he is taller than MP Starscream. Box art also showes that Optimus is as tall as Rodimus. I kind of hoped that he would be closer to classics, so that he could pose with the rest of his autobot warriors. Though then he would have been even smaller. Not that he is actually that small.

Pic.9

Pic.10

Truck mode

Now this mode is somewhat different than any previous MP Prime. Even though older one doesn't look bad, I must say that this one is IMO better. It actually looks like some of those flat nose american made trucks. Not bad at all. There are some nice details and folding sideview mirrors are also very nice touch.

It wasn't even hard to transform him from bot mode to truck mode. I mean some have had problems with his arms when transforming, but for once I didn't really have any major problems getting everything in order. There are some small pegs that can cause problems when adjusting arms, but if you are careful and move parts a bit, you will be able to lock those arms pretty easily. I also found that keeping his legs pegged together in truck mode caused some problems, but when you attach the trailer, it will lock those the legs together quite firmly. All in all, the truck mode doesn't feel too fragile or anything and looks great, and it also rolls well in case you wanna take the Optimus to a road trip.

Battlestation/repairing bay is a bit boring but the trailer is still nice addition. At least the trailer can transform and it is not just...well plastic container. It looks much like original G1 toy Prime's trailer, so nothing that special there.

For some reason, inserting images doesn't just work anymore work so here is the link:

Truck Mode
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l634/G...s/optimus13.jpg

Overall:

Many people were really pissed off about Rodimus (and Megatron), but I'm glad to say that at least this MP-10 Optimus Prime doesn't have similar really bad quality issues. He feel firm and when transforming this, I never had the kind of a feeling that I was going to broke something. Yes, they could have done something else and most like they will, but I just can't really complain much about this toy figure.

It's expensive and all, but if you don't have MP Prime and you would like to get one, then this is the version I would buy, for to me it is in some ways better than previous version and doesn't have any horrible quality flaws and issues. If you have one or more MP Primes, then maybe if you are HC collector or HC Optimus Prime collector.

Grade 9,5
Pros.
-Nice looking bot and alt modes
-Not any major quality issues
-Overall solid structure (doesn't feel too fragile or wobbly)
-G1 Optimus biggrin.gif

Cons.
-The price
-Minor issues with truck mode

This post has been edited by Honkimus Prime: 20 March 2012, 21:12

--------------------
Ostetaan hyväkuntoisia Alternators sekä Masterpiece -sarjojen figuureja. Ota yhteyttä YV:llä
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tformer
post 12 October 2011, 18:29
Post #2 | Print
Trivia Fanatic

Dennis
Dalarna, Sweden

Great review! And gorgeous pictures! love.gif

While I really like MP01 Convoy, it's really starting to show its age. MP10 just really hits the spot for me. Visually at least.

I really, really wish I could afford to splurge on one right now. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BigPete
post 12 October 2011, 18:49
Post #3 | Print
Chuck Norris-approved!

Arlöv, Sweden

Group: Administrators

Nice review smile.gif

And the reason for not being able to insert more pictures is that there is a limit of 10 pictures per post wink2.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SureShot
post 13 October 2011, 11:46
Post #4 | Print
"I like big BoTs and I cannot lie"

Denmark

Great review biggrin.gif I've been wanting this one for a loong time but the price is just a bit steep eventhough it's fairly just since he comes with trailer etc.

I love MP-01 but I wish Has/Tak would release headscuplt for it that matches MP10 since that Optimus Prime face is just much better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Protek
post 14 October 2011, 22:58
Post #5 | Print
Lord of the manor

Tero Säärelä
Oulu, Finland

Group: Sponsors

Nice review! If I didn't have the 20th Anniversary OP, I'd seriously consider getting this one. There's a couple of things about the truck mode that put me off somewhat. Firstly, the truck nose should be flatter. I mean the chrome bumper should be right before the front wheels. Secondly the back section of the truck is too bulky.

QUOTE(SureShot @ 13 October 2011, 12:46) *
I love MP-01 but I wish Has/Tak would release headscuplt for it that matches MP10 since that Optimus Prime face is just much better.

Have you considered getting an iGear head for your MP-01?

--------------------
The Brotherhood of the Cybertronian Radial

"Takai desu ne"
"Jinsei da"

Check out my items for sale.

Most wanted: Pretender Roadblock inner robot, G1 Ultra Magnus missiles and launchers, G1 Smokescreen car roof

+Quote Post
BigPete
post 14 October 2011, 23:11
Post #6 | Print
Chuck Norris-approved!

Arlöv, Sweden

Group: Administrators

No one should get anything from iGear. Ever. wink2.gif

+Quote Post
SureShot
post 17 October 2011, 11:35
Post #7 | Print

Denmark

QUOTE(Protek @ 14 October 2011, 23:58) *
Nice review! If I didn't have the 20th Anniversary OP, I'd seriously consider getting this one. There's a couple of things about the truck mode that put me off somewhat. Firstly, the truck nose should be flatter. I mean the chrome bumper should be right before the front wheels. Secondly the back section of the truck is too bulky.

QUOTE(SureShot @ 13 October 2011, 12:46) *

Have you considered getting an iGear head for your MP-01?

For a short second I considered it sleep.gif but no I'm keeping it original.

However I gave in and ordered the MP-10 at HLJ. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tetsuro
post 2 March 2012, 14:21
Post #8 | Print
I HATE EVERYTHING

Emperor of Destruction
Finland

Sooo...anyone wanna buy my MP-4? tongue.gif

--------------------
Viciously allergic to ignorance

+Quote Post
palaste
post 19 March 2012, 21:51
Post #9 | Print
Mr. Suitly emphazi

Joona Palaste, B.Sc.
Helsinki, Finland

Group: Super moderators

Don't you have any pictures of Optimus Prime in truck mode with the trailer? Getting a Masterpiece Optimus Prime with the trailer has been a dream of mine, but so far it has been prohibitively expensive, with the cheapest prices starting from 400 €.
Edit: Never mind, I just found a link to the picture. Does the trailer transform into a battle station? How much did all this cost you, then?

This post has been edited by palaste: 19 March 2012, 21:53

--------------------
"Hermione!" "Harry!" "Ron!" "Professor Dumbledore!" "Hermione!" "Rocky!"
"Hermione!" "Harry!" "Ron!" "Professor Dumbledore!" "Hermione!" "Rocky!"

+Quote Post
SureShot
post 20 March 2012, 10:51
Post #10 | Print

Denmark

QUOTE(palaste @ 19 March 2012, 21:51) *
Don't you have any pictures of Optimus Prime in truck mode with the trailer? Getting a Masterpiece Optimus Prime with the trailer has been a dream of mine, but so far it has been prohibitively expensive, with the cheapest prices starting from 400 €.
Edit: Never mind, I just found a link to the picture. Does the trailer transform into a battle station? How much did all this cost you, then?

There are some good pictures here:
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=16540

I think I gave $230 for my MP-10 excl. shipping from HLJ.com

+Quote Post
Honkimus Prime
post 20 March 2012, 21:11
Post #11 | Print

Finland

QUOTE(palaste @ 19 March 2012, 21:51) *

Yes, it has the battlestation mode and you can use trailer for some kind of repairing bay as well. So the trailer is not just an empty box. I paid 270€. Not very cheap, but I didn't have any previous MP Primes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-fi version Time is now: 2 Oct 2014 - 15:26